5.23.2014

How to Fly with a Baby

Over Mother's Day I flew with Caleb to visit my parents! My dad flew with me from San Diego to Oakland and I flew solo with Caleb from Oakland to San Diego. I have a few tips for other moms and dads who desire to fly with their babies! I read a few blog posts, talked to a few friends, and looked up tips from various airlines prior to flying so I could be prepared. Overall it went great and there was an 80% occupancy for both flights so Caleb and I got our own row. Amazing but not typical!
Caleb ready for take off!


Tips: 
Determine what you will check and what you will carry on
I didn't check a single item for our four day/three night journey on our way from Oakland to San Diego. WHAT?? Yes. It is possible with a baby. I had a carry on suitcase with all of our clothing, wipes, and a few diapers. I carried Caleb's diaper bag/backpack as my personal item, wore him in the Ergo, and had an extra hand to either hold his car seat or I put it on my suitcase. I didn't want to risk losing our bag with all of his clothing, I didn't want to bring our stroller, and we don't own a pack-n-play. Simple was how I wanted to do it. On the way home I checked our bag. Consider gate checking your car seat because I have read a few controversies about checked car seats becoming damaged and unsafe because of the way they are handled through the baggage checking process.
I can carry everything independently!

With my car seat on my carry on I have a free hand

Investigate you Airline's Lap Child Policy

We flew Southwest and they have free seating. A lap child needs a ticket that you obtain at the service counter near the gate. I didn't realize this and tried to board with him and no ticket! I also asked the ticket counter how full the flight was. They told me I didn't need to gate check his car seat and I could bring it on the flight! I would recommend asking your airlines service counter how full the flight is and if there is any way you could be reseated next to an empty seat.
Barely enough room to do a lap diaper change. His head was touching the seat in front of us

Make sure you have all important documents
Be prepared with a copy of your child's birth certificate. I had it but they never wanted to see it. However, I am not sure if other airlines are more strict about this. Make sure your license and boarding pass are accessible in either your pants pocket, diaper bag, or pocket in your baby carrier.

Think about how you will walk in the airport
Before you decide to carry on everything like I did, visualize what it will look like for you to carry on all the items you are planning on bringing. Can you put it through the metal detectors easily? Can you carry these items for up to 30 minutes? Do you have way too much stuff for the amount of hands you have? Can you go pee when you have to or do you look like a camel ready for a cross-Sahara adventure? Do you have help when you are traveling? Talk these things through with your travel partner beforehand to minimize stress during your travel day or think about them if you are traveling solo. If you are frazzled in the airport your baby will feel it and be stressed out before you even step on the plane!
A car seat that is gate checked can be slug over a carry-on rolling suitcase!

Consider eliminating bulky baby items
Do you really need the sound machine, the breast pump, the pack-n-play, a stroller, a car seat and its base, 40 diapers, three different baby carriers, and the play mat? Consider minimizing! This will make travel a lot easier. One thing you will need is a car seat, unless your car rental company has car seats you feel comfortable using. There are also car seat rental places all over the nation if yours for some reason gets lost. I had my mom purchase diapers ahead of time for us so I didn't have to pack them and I did not bring Caleb's car seat base. Did you know most car seats can be buckled into a car safely without the base? Educate yourself prior to travel about your particular seat and how to install it without the base. Here is an installation video of mine I watched. I decided to use a white noise app on my phone on airplane mode to replace Caleb's bulky white noise machine. I didn't bring a breast pump and I did have to hand express a few times. I decided not to bring a stroller because my family would help me wear him when we went on outings. If you simplify you will have less things to worry about!

Family Security and Family boarding 
In most instances you can wear your child through security, push the stroller, and get VIP treatment by going through family security. It might be in the first class section of your airlines or in the business select line. If you are wearing your child threw security they will take a hand swab after you go through the metal detector. Family boarding is different for every airlines but it is so nice to know ahead of time where to go!

Think about feeding
Does your infant eat wherever? Awesome! Is your 4 month old a distracted eater like mine? Are you comfortable doing a little NIP (nursing in public)? Do you know how to nurse in your carrier? If you are seated next to a linebacker can you still nurse in your seat? If you want a frame of reference to start practicing, try nursing in a beach chair, a lawn chair, or a desk chair and see how much room you have to maneuver your baby. It might be easier for some moms to bottle feed on a plane or to practice a new nursing position prior to the travel date. Caleb kicks when he eats and if I wasn't in my own row I don't think I would have been prepared for how cramped plane nursing feels with 17lbs of baby.

Make a friend
People love babies. Make friends around your seat who can help you hold your child if you need to pee. People will stare at your baby and ask you questions so be prepared to be friendly! Let your kid interact with them because it will keep them occupied and kill time.

Be aware of popping ears
Some babies are really sensitive to pressure changes. Sucking on something will help relieve pressure. Nursing, using a pacifier, or having your child chomp or suck on your finger will help them during takeoff and landing.

Be prepared 
What if you have three blowouts? What if the plane is delayed 5 hours? What if you miss a connecting flight? What if your child loses their favorite toy on the plane? Be prepared! Bring an empty water bottle through security and drink up! Make sure to pack an extra change of clothes for yourself and your child for those emergencies.

Relax
Enjoy your flight and talk your baby through everything! If you are calm, cool, and collected then you will be able to handle anything your baby might do or what might happen. Traveling with a child can be difficult, or it can be awesome!
4 generations

Caleb and Ruby at the beach

Auntie Hope carrying Caleb in Carmel

First time meeting Uncle David

Play time

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you admin, this is reall a nice blog and i am a big fan of your blog.
    I just started a new blog and you can visit my blog and read my blog post on car seat bag travel thanks

    ReplyDelete