1.22.2014

Newborn Photoshoot

I hope you enjoyed Caleb's last post with all of his updates. I am thrilled to share his newborn photo shoot with you guys. My sister has a budding photography business in Santa Barbara (hello beautiful place to photograph!) and was kind enough to do our newborn photo shoot and some candid shots of us around our home. Check out her new blog, hopefolio or like her facebook page, Hope Photography, to check out some more amazing photos!

This week has been a lot better than the last one for me. I am still pretty tired but I feel like Caleb and I are finally getting the hang of nursing and we are figuring out what his rhythms are and little cute quirks. I went to a nursing support group yesterday at Nature's Whisperer, the same place I did prenatal yoga. It was really fun to get to know some other new mommies and their beautiful babies! I learned a few new tricks and was able to try out a nursing pillow that I am going to be able to get from a friend tomorrow. I have been very intentional about enjoying the mornings he and I have together because those are my favorite part of my day with him! He is becoming very alert when we change his diaper and let him air out. I tacked up a black and white photo from our wedding on the wall next to his changing table and he loves to stare at it. Last night when John was changing him Caleb started to figure out that his hand can move the picture a little bit. For 10 minutes we watched him try to figure out how to coordinate his hand to hit it so it would move. He is starting to arch his body towards things and twist his body as well. I know that aren't supposed to roll over for a very long time but he makes me nervous.

My mom has been nourishing us with amazing food, a clean home, and clean laundry for 9 days now! She leaves tomorrow and I am really thankful she is coming back in a few weeks with Grandpa Danny to visit again when my sister plays in a water polo tournament down in San Diego. John is excited to start the 24 Day Challenge soon to clean and clear out some of the 2013 gunk that we consumed over the holidays. I can't wait to do a modified version in a few weeks since the last time I did the Herbal Cleanse was the week we tried to conceive (and we were apparently successful as evidenced below!). I ate fairly well during my pregnancy but I am pumped to give my insides a reset after having a baby inside for 9 months. My goal and intention would be to NOT lose weight since keeping fat on after baby is key to continuing to breastfeed. I want a clean tummy guys!

Caleb had his first doctor appointment today and I felt like quite the circus act. He had his first ever blowout poop in the only pair of clothes I had brought up to the doctor office. So I changed him as the nursing assistant was asking me all of these questions about his birth, his habits, and our family health history. I was super frazzled. John had to meet us at the office as opposed to going with us, and thankfully he walked in just when I was starting to feel overwhelmed juggling changing a baby with poop everywhere while fumbling through my diaper backpack and answering very important questions. The nursing assistant asked us to take off his diaper so she could weigh him. On the way back into the room (the scale is outside) Caleb peed in his swaddle blanket, all over John's shoe, and all over their table! John had thrown away the diaper I had just put on him out of habit and that was the last one I had in my bag. Disaster!! The doctor office had scented pampers but after the angry red bottom I got the previous time I used them I decided to have John go get more 7th generation diapers from my car. At this point Caleb was alert, happy and butt naked in a peed-in swaddle blanket. Finally we got a diaper on him and Dr. Nakahara came in. She was great and Caleb was very alert and enjoying the new things to look at in the room while she examined him. Caleb has surpassed his birth weight an is now ALMOST 9lbs (1oz away!). He is gaining weight well, healthy, and he has absolutely stolen our hearts. I had been pretty fearful of taking home to the doctor because of all the unpredictable things he might do. Hmm, I guess God gave me the opportunity to just laugh at myself, which I did as soon as we left the appointment.

Alright, here are those scrumptious photos Hope took! He was 8 days old here in these pictures and is now 12 days old! The last one might be my favorite, it is an "out take".



















I had to include this little out take. Caleb gets frustrated when he isn't in a comfortable position. Don't we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment