12.29.2013

Top 10 Confessions of a Pregnant Girl

During this pregnancy there are some things I read and decided to do and not to do. My hope for posting this is to free some ladies from either judging themselves or a friend who has done these things while pregnant. Think me weird or strange but these confessions are me coming clean about not being the perfect pregnant momma you all thought I was :-)

1. I eat raw/undercooked eggs

I love over easy eggs. Seriously. A handful of times early on I made over-easy eggs and felt so bad about it. "what if I get salmonella? What if I get sick and throw up and go into early labor? What if I I die?" I decided that since I need me some protein and started hating scrambled eggs, a solution had to be discovered. I found these amazing eggs called "Safe Eggs" at Sprouts. They are raw but pasteurized eggs still in their shell! I technically could eat them without cooking them at all but that is a little much for me. I would feel like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Now I can eat my over easy eggs without fear and with confidence! About every other day I enjoy my runny yolks and smile with glee. Mmmm.

2. I went off-roading
This was NOT my choice. I definitely wouldn't have chosen to go on a off-roading adventure while 7 months pregnant but someone in my family (who shall go unnamed) decided we would go see a a beautiful sunset that was 30 minutes up a mountain. A very hilly and bumpy mountain. I am so thankful that I had my pregnancy belt with me because I used it for support. I sat in the back seat holding either side of the support bars, and bracing myself in a semi squat to lessen the impact.  I survived and the view was beautiful, but I felt like I could have gone to Magic Mountain, gone on every roller coaster, and had the same effect. My baby is fine and I suffered no ill effects, but this is a big pregnancy no-no activity that I definitely did.

3. I can't stay away from the hot tub

I get a lot of looks for this confession. I have craved baths throughout this pregnancy but our tub is too shallow to stay comfortable in while pregnant. My belly sticks out and I need to put a cup of water over it ever minute to stay warm. Blah! I didn't go in a hot tub for the several weeks because of a Mayo Clinic article I read. After that I followed the same article's guidelines and have LOVED each time I have gone in the hot tub! I get out after about 10 minutes or when I start to sweat. However, I have been asked to leave the YMCA hot tub twice.  I checked with the pool manager and he told me that lifeguards are only trained to advise people with medical conditions the risks of remaining in the hot tub, they can't ask them to leave. Stretching and easing sore muscles is a must so I am very glad I decided to do my own research and plop in the j-cuz. Now I smile when the judgement comes and say, "Thanks for your concern".

4. I am obsessed with birth videos.

I think I have watched every home birth video available on youtube.  And, this obsession started before I was pregnant and I wanted to become a doula. After I was pregnant I wanted to normalize the process for myself so I wasn't freaked out when I started mooing like a cow or broke down crying in labor or did something I would later think was embarrassing. My favorite births are the ones that are super raw and real, where the mother has abandoned all "politeness" and she is as primal as it gets. I think it is so beautiful to see someone working so hard, allowing their body to do something that will later amaze them. I also watched a lot of hospital births online. It feels very unnatural to me to birth in a bed where you are pushing your baby uphill, up your sacrum, in a position that makes your hips more narrow. We don't poop lying down, why in the heck would I want to take the biggest "poop" of my life lying down? Birth videos have opened my eyes up to what is normal and HOW women bring their babies into the world.

5. I'm not getting a crib yet

No, our baby is not going to sleep on the floor or in a dresser drawer. He will be in bed with us! I have heard a lot of people tell me they secretly do this but don't tell anyone for fear of judgement. John is very excited to cuddle our son in the mornings and I am excited I won't have to get out of bed to go nurse a screaming baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that babies sleep in the same room as their parents for AT LEAST the first 6 months, the peak SIDS time, because it is simply less safe to keep them elsewhere. I have read three separate books that all advocate having your baby IN BED, not in a crib or co-sleeper. I am currently reading  The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League. The authors cite several research studies that not only is it safe to have your baby sleep with you, it actually lowers the risk of SIDS (not to be confused with suffocation). It helps your baby regulate their breathing and heart rate and they rouse more easily, key factors in preventing SIDS. Babies sleep more deeply when they are stressed or when they are formula fed, which might sound amazing but is actually problematic because waking themselves up more frequently to feed is safer. Breastfeeding success is linked to bed-sharing with your baby at an even higher rate than if they are in a co-sleeper. It is important to note that I am not a drug user, we do not smoke, or have pets or other children in bed with us, all of these increase risks for accidents. A friend of mine who sleeps with her baby said "I get WAY more sleep and so does my husband!" SOLD. Read more here if you aren't convinced.

6. I sleep on my back
Another one that is not my choice. I always wake up on my back and have no idea how long I have been there! I freaked out the first few times and then a midwife told me "don't worry about it, you were not created to harm your baby". I always go to sleep on my left side with a massive king-sized pillow between my legs and don't understand why my body tells me to roll over to my back! The only reassurance I have is that when I move our dear son starts playing and kicking so I am assuming he was just fine and was patiently waiting for me to wake up.

7.  I work out hard
Yeah, this one is something a lot of pregnant women have misinformation about. Apparently it was assumed that most women would not be working out as hard as they did before they were pregnant. Doctors put a ban on getting your heart rate over 140 for no good reason.  Not evidence based! One guy told me when I was doing TRX that I would make my baby dizzy. Someone else told me I should take it easy and put my feet up while I can. I have been very mindful of my body and stopped doing CrossFit when my back told me "No thanks Ebey". I always try to make sure I can catch my breath within 10 seconds and can carry on a short convo while exercising. TRX has been amazing because I know all those squats with help me pop my baby out and open up my pelvis. Yoga limbers up all of my ligaments that need to stretch to accommodate the bowling ball that I am going to birth next month. I have had a relatively easy pregnancy and feel really blessed to be able to stay healthy and keep my body feeling great. Working out has played a huge role in making this happen!

8. I am going to do placenta encapsulation. 

This one might be the one that takes the cake for the weirdness factor. Let the thoughts come, go ahead, "YOU ARE DOING WHAT?! GROSS!" I've heard it before when I have told people, you aren't the first. I have several friends who have swallowed their own placenta pills and loved the benefits postpartum. The yoga studio I go to, my midwife, and our birthing instructor HIGHLY recommend doing it to help with bleeding, milk production, and to ward off postpartum depression and sleep disorders.  I have done a lot of reading up on this one and am excited that the University of Nevada, Las Vegas published a research article! They published an article recently detailing some of the findings of their study. One of the things they said was that women who were likely to practice this were "American, Caucasian, married, middle class, and college-educated and were more likely to give birth at home". Guess I fit the description perfectly.

9. I am not getting a diaper bag
 I refuse. Not doing it. Can't make me. After talking to many second time moms I have heard repeatedly, "For the second you just get a big purse, throw in some diapers, a few clothes, and a snack and call it a day". I cannot carry anything over one shoulder because my chiro told me it will pull on my neck and cause my atlas to go out of alignment more quickly. I have to either carry a bag/purse in the crook of my elbow or wear a backpack. In the interest of not being a bag lady carrying three bags and a baby, I wanted something that would be a purse/diaper bag combo. There are some cute diaper bag backpacks out there but they are way to big to be a cute "purse" or they are uncomfortable because they have thin straps that dig in to my shoulders. I finally found this amazing backpack purse at REI and am obsessed. I plan to throw a few baby essentials in my new "purse" and keep another backpack with reinforcements in the car.

10. I am nervous about how my relationship with John will change 
This one is a confession I think most normal couples go through. I am worried that I will give more attention to our baby than to my husband and he will feel "left out". I am anticipating that when John spends time with our son at home I will feel neglected. Mostly I am very content with our relationship right now and didn't feel like anything was "missing" or that a baby would "complete our relationship". I have heard from several people that everything changes but everything is better. I guess this next season of life with be a great opportunity for us to find a new stride and to trust God with the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment